Ingrown Hair Removal
Ingrown hairs are conditions where hair curls back and grows sideways under the skin instead of outside the outer skin. It appears as a redbump or acne-like hump and can get infected.
What are some important facts about ingrown hairs?
- Ingrown hairs are commonly known as shaving bumps or shaving rash, although ingrown can result from waxing and plucking, too.
- They are called pseudofolliculitis barbae when they occur on the beard and other facial areas, extending to the skin on the neck. They are referred to as folliculitis when they appear on other areas of the body.
- They occur mostly in areas often shaved or waxed, including the areas around the neck and face in men, and the armpit, pubic, and leg areas in women.
- They are painful and itchy.
What causes ingrown hairs?
Ingrown hairs usually result from various hair removal methods, such as shaving, plucking, tweezing and waxing. During these procedures, hair follicles are traumatized and distorted. The skin reacts by repairing itself and, oftentimes, the pores on the skin are closed. As a result, growing hairs are trapped and curl back to the inner layers of skin. They become annoying and unsightly especially when hair follicles begin to swell and get inflamed.
What are the methods to address and prevent ingrown hairs?
Ingrown hairs can be prevented and reduced with these methods:
- Avoid subjecting hair to trauma, such as waxing, plucking and shaving against the grain of the hair.
- Treat the infection and inflammation with a course of antibiotics, antibiotic creams or anti-inflammation soaps.
- Exfoliate regularly, or use AHA glycolic acid creams, to lift hairs and prevent hairs from curling back to the skin.
- Moisturize to soften skin and hair, and wear comfortable clothes to avoid irritating ingrown hairs.
Remove hairs using laser can treat existing ingrown hairs, too. With this treatment, the follicles stop producing hair eventually, and this includes ingrown hairs.
How does laser hair removal treatment work in getting rid of ingrown hairs permanently?
Laser hair removal targets the ingrown hair problem at the very root – the hair follicle. Laser light is administered on the problem area. It then seeks out its target – the melanin in the hair which is abundant in hair follicles. Light converts to heat energy and damages the hair follicles. With damaged hair follicles,hairs stopgrowingin the treated area. Along with existing hairs in the active growth phase, ingrown hairs are removed and prevented from growing back.
What areas can be treated for ingrown hair removal through laser?
With various laser types and the newest in laser technology, almost any part of the face and body with ingrown hair can be safely and effectively treated. Ingrown hair removal on the beard, face, neck, legs and bikini areas are popular requests.
How many sessions will be needed to completely remove ingrown hair?
The manner by which hairs grow varies from one person to another. It is the same thing with ingrown hairs. The number of sessions and their frequency will largely depend on the area to be treated (its location and size), and the person’s hair growth cycle. On the average, there will be 6-8 multiple sessions spaced at 4-6 weeks apart. We will assess these things during the consultation and treatment reviews.
Is it painful?
People have different thresholds for pain. Clients generally report their experience as slightly uncomfortable. The sensation is often compared to warm rubber band flicking on the skin, but most clients reported very tolerable.
What post-treatment care can you advise?
A complete instructions will be given on how to care for the skin after a treatment. Here are some very important things to remember:
- Don’t pluck or wax regrowing hair since this will cause more ingrown hairs. These procedures also damage the hair follicles which are the target for your next laser treatment.
- Shaving is allowed, but it must be done properly. Shave along the direction of hair growth, not against. Don’t shave with too much pressure because this causes ingrown hair.
What is the edge of your centre over others?
We are the leading permanent hair removal centre in Singapore. We handles the laser treatment for hair removal to make sure that our clients get the optimal hair reduction outcome. We have the latest in equipment, techniques and technology, and we are committed to make your experience with us a comfortable, safe and effective one.
Get rid of unsightly ingrown hairs, and get rid of their painful symptoms! We have years of effectively delivering hair reduction services, including ingrown hair removal, to satisfied clients.